Sporting Deal | Sports News | Widnes 40-10 Castleford | Super League match report

skip to content

All NewsLatest News: Froch: Bellew can KO Usyk

All Betting TipsLatest Betting Tips: AJAX V MAN UTD

All NewsLatest News: WATCH: Thorpe’s demo on playing spin

All ReviewsTop Bookmakers: Betfred are rated 10/10 and offer a £0 sign up bonus

All Welcome BonusesWelcome Bonuses: Bet Victor -  Bet £5 Get £30

Latest NewsArchive

Widnes 40-10 Castleford | Super League match report

2nd July 2012

Widnes 40-10 Castleford

Widnes climbed off the bottom of the Super League table with a comprehensive victory over depleted Castleford at Stobart Stadium Halton.

A Jon Clarke-inspired performance put Widnes in control. The veteran hooker had a hand in two of the Vikings’ first-half tries which gave them the platform for victory.

The home side, who have been rooted to the foot of the league for the majority of the season, got off to a blistering start thanks to Stefan Marsh, one of eight former Wigan players in the Widnes line-up, after he latched on to a Cameron Phelps’ pass.

Nick Youngquest replied for the Tigers but for the most part Castleford’s attacks were lacklustre and few and far between. They were clearly missing their star player Rangi Chase, who remains absent for internal disciplinary reasons.

Widnes’ grip on the game continued when the second-row forward Frank Winterstein barged his way over from close range in the 22nd minute before Ben Davies added a third try just before half-time.

Pat Ah Van’s three conversions, all easily kickable, went over and the game was Widnes’ to lose entering the second period with an 18-4 lead.

The Tigers’ head coach, Ian Millward, must have given his troops an ear bashing at the break as the visitors came out more fired up but it did not last long as Paul McShane crashed over from dummy half for a converted try and then Joe Mellor flew over after a neat show and go.

Ah Van missed his first conversion of the evening but it mattered little, despite Stuart Jones getting a score back for the Tigers and Craig Huby adding the penalty points. Widnes were soon extending their lead with another try, this time through the debutant Eamon O’Carroll who pounced on McShane’s kick through.

Ah Van then flew in for a try himself at the end, with Rhys Hanbury slotting the goal from the touchline to round things off. © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Read more at The Guardian
© Guardian News & Media Limited

Please Log In / Register to Leave a Comment

Please log in or register to leave a comment about this article.

Newsletter Signup

Register here so we can keep you up-to-date with Sporting Deal news...